Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Mel Grunau: Featured Artist Paint the Parks100

REGION I AWARD WINNER
"Rock Ledges"
Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Mel Grunau
Oil, 31.75 " x 13"


What Mel says about his work. "My work in general reflects my personality. My family and friends tell me that I am usually reserved and prefer to listen rather than talk. My paintings do not shout. My palette is infused with subdued colors. I paint realistic as well as abstract images. When I portray realistic images I hope to convey not only the image itself but also the subtleties of light, sound and smell surrounding the image. The colors I choose are often soft shades of gray, blue and green.

Work I hope to draw the viewer into the painting. In the case of realism there is less left to the imagination but the sense of the viewer experiencing the painting is the goal. In abstract works my hope is that the viewer will find elements as they relate to his or her own interpretation. There is great satisfaction when a viewer will indicate that each time a painting is viewed, new elements reveal themselves. This is certainly a tribute to the actual involvement of the viewer with the work and is most rewarding to me as an artist."

 
Paint the Parks100 national touring exhibit is at SouthWind Gallery until July 15, 2010.
Paint the Parks is a national touring exhibition of contemporary representative paintings depicting America’s National Parks. The exhibit is organized by PaintAmerica, a Topeka-based, national non-profit organization, created  to support and promote the visual arts. As one of the leading traveling art exhibitions in America, it features the works of many of the country’s most recognized contemporary artists, as well as several talented emerging artists. The exhibit is created annually from an international juried artists’ competition, and includes the highest juror-scored pieces from nearly a thousand total submissions. The show can also be viewed online at www.paintamerica.org


Gallery Hours: Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. SouthWindArtGallery.com

_________________________________________________
FREE Framing From Framewoods! It's Easy and it's FUN for everyone!
Click Here for Details!
Offer Ends August 15, 2010 _________________________________________________

Framewoods of Topeka Gift Certificate Cards make the perfect gift for any occasion!  Gift certificates are good as cash for anything in the store — custom framing, gifts and even artwork at SouthWind Gallery Gift cards may be purchased online or at the store in denominations of $25, $50, $75, or $100. 

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment