Monday, February 8, 2010

Acquiring art is a capital idea - KansasCity.com

by Jaclyn Banash

There’s Art, and then there’s art. Art with a capital A is original, unique and can be a valuable collector’s piece. Then there’s lowercase art, or what I refer to as decorative art.

We have all seen the prints available at Z Gallerie and Bed, Bath & Beyond. This decorative art can be nice and certainly fills a purpose. But Art can transform your living space and bring energy into your home and life.

The first thought most of us have when discussing Art is that you have to be a bit snobbish or upper crust to enjoy it. That’s definitely not true.

You might buy a piece of decorative art because the colors match your sofa or bedspread. But when you buy Art, you often base the rest of your space around it. This is what I did after purchasing my first piece.

I met Leslie Neumann, an amazing artist, at her home in Aripeka, Fla., and she took me upstairs to her studio where we enjoyed an evening of viewing many of her encaustic (hot wax) and oil paintings. All of her pieces moved me, but there was one in particular that resonated deeply. I knew I had to have it, but at the time I could not afford it (yet another difference between Art and art).

Months passed, and I was developing the design of my living room. After deliberating on plans and adding pieces slowly to the room, I realized I had unconsciously built the room around that piece of Art from my memory of it. Leslie and I had kept in contact, and she knew of my deep desire to acquire her painting. She offered to let me make payments, and I finally took the plunge.

It has been only a few months since I have paid it off and had it hanging on my wall, but already it has had a profound impact on my life.

If you are considering investing in Art, here is some food for thought. Art is not wall decoration. It has an energy that sends a message to viewers and lets them interact with it. Great Art holds up over time and will continue to satisfy and move you, whereas decorative art can become static or invisible over time.

Much of this, of course, is dependent upon the artist. If the artist works in the realm of meaningful subject matter and is in touch with grand concepts, his or her work will transcend aesthetics, and you will find yourself with a piece that creates a visceral response every time you see it.

The way I see it, the right piece of Art can bring life to your interior and fulfillment to your soul — creating a deeper meaning to the term interior design.

No comments:

Post a Comment